Massa Marittima: art, culture and historical commemorations
The village of Massa Marittima, located at the center of the Metalliferous Hills of Grosseto and member of the Mountain Union of Municipalities of the Metalliferous Hills, dates its first settlement back to the prehistoric and paleolithic time. Piazza Garibaldi is the central square, dominated by the Cathedral of San Cerbone. Characterized by both Pisan and Sienese style, ithis wonderful church was built between the 11th and 12th centuries on the previous church foundation. Inside we find the Arca of San Cerbone di Goro di Gregorio, dating back to 1324 and the fabulous baptismal font madeby Giroldo da Como in 1297, as well as the Madonna with Child, attributed to the painter Duccio di Buoninsegna.
Next to the Cathedral there is the Palazzo Del Podestà, which is nowadays seat of the Archaeological Museum and whose façade is adorned with many coats of arms of the noble Families that ruled the city. Noteworthy are also the Palace of the Counts Biserno, decorated with Renaissance windows, the Palazzo Comunale dating back to the 14th century and the old Mint, where in 1317 the local currency was coined, the Grosso Massetano.
Finally, proceeding to Piazza Mazzini, you can not miss the Palazzo Dell’Abbondanza with the famous Fonte Dell’Abbondanza, where inhabitants used to storage their harvest for the periods of drought and poverty.